Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)
1. How long is the trail? The entire trail is 34 miles long.
2. How far is the ride from Whitetop down to Damascus? 17 miles, almost all downhill. The last 3 miles flattens out a bit.
3. Is there water, food and restrooms along the trail? Yes, there is a cafe/restaurant about every 8 miles on the trail.
4. How long does it take to ride the entire 34 miles from Whitetop back to Abingdon? The average time is 5.5 hours. This includes taking time for lunch and taking in all the scenery!
5. How long does it take to ride the 17 miles from Whitetop down to Damascus? From 2.5 to 3 hours.
6. What is the surface of the Creeper Trail like? Crushed limestone and cinder left over from the train days. Tiny gravel and hard packed.
7. Is a helmet required on the trail? No, they are not. But we highly recommend them!
8. Can I bring my own bike? Yes, of course. Or you may rent one from us.
9. Is it a strenous ride? Nope. Even people who haven't ridden in years can do this ride!
10. What are your store hours? Sunday - Friday 9 A.M. - 6 P.M. and 8 A.M. - 6 P.M. on Saturday.
11.. What time do your shuttles leave? Please see our reservation page for times.
12. What are the lodging options for the area? Please click here for accommodations.
13. Do cell phones work on the trail? Not on the upper section. You're in a gorge in the middle of the forest most of the time. They sometimes work on the Damascus to Abingdon section, depending on your carrier.
14. What does the Virginia Creeper Trail look like? Click here to see our photo gallery.
15. Do you require reservations for shuttle service and/or bike rentals? Reservations are highly recommended to secure space on the day/time you want. Please call us at 1-888-BIKEN4U or use our online reservation form.
17. We want to stay for an entire weekend. What else is there to do in the area? Follow this link to see what else there is to do in the area.
18. Have any more questions? Please feel free to give us a call at 1-888-BIKEN4U. We'll be glad to answer any additional questions you may have!