Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)
1. How long is the trail? The Virginia Creeper Trail is 34.3 miles from the trail head in Abingdon to Whitetop Station.
2. How far is the ride from Whitetop down to Damascus? 17 miles, almost all downhill.
3. Is there water and food along the trail? Yes, there is a cafe/restaurant about every 8 miles on the trail.
3. Is there restrooms along the trail? Vault toilets and/or restrooms are available at various points along the trail including the Welcome Center in Abingdon, Alvarado Station, Straight Branch parking lot, Creek Junction parking lot, beside the caboose in Damascus, Green Cove Station and Whitetop Station.
4. How long will it take me to ride the entire trail from Whitetop Station back to Abingdon? The average time is 5.5 hours. This includes taking time to grab some lunch and taking in all the beautiful scenery!
5. How long does it take to ride the 17 miles from Whitetop down to Damascus? From 2.5 to 3 hours.
6. What is the surface of the Creeper Trail like? Crushed limestone and cinder left over from the train days. Tiny gravel and hard packed.
7. Is a helmet required on the trail? No, they are not. But we highly recommend them!
8. Can I bring my own bike? Yes, of course. Or you may rent one from us.
9. Is it a strenous ride? Nope. Even people who haven't ridden in years can do this ride!
8. Where is the Welcome Center? The Welcome Center is located at the trailhead in Abingdon near our shop. It is open in-season, March to mid-November, Thursdays through Sundays.
10. What are your shop hours? Sunday - Friday 9 A.M. - 5 P.M. and 8 A.M. - 5 P.M. on Saturday.
11.. What time do your shuttles leave? Times vary depending on the day. Please call us to inquire about available shuttle times.
12. What are the lodging options for the area? Please click here for accommodations.
13. Do cell phones work on the trail? Not on the upper section. You're in a gorge in the middle of the forest most of the time. They sometimes work on the Damascus to Abingdon section, depending on your carrier.
14. What does the Virginia Creeper Trail look like? Click here to see lot's of beautiful photos of the Virginia Creeper Trail.
15. Do you require reservations for shuttle service and/or bike rentals? Reservations are highly recommended to secure space on the day/time you want. Please call us toll-free 1-888-BIKEN4U or 276-676-2552.
17. We want to stay for an entire weekend. What else is there to do in the area? Follow this link to see what else there is to do in the area. We also encourage you to go to VisitAbingdonVirginia.com.
18. Have any more questions? Please feel free to give us a call at 1-888-BIKEN4U. We'll be glad to answer any additional questions you may have!